The present study – From Shadow to Formal Economy: Levelling the Playing Field in the Single Market – focuses on the following issues:
- the notion of shadow economy and the extent to which the Internal Market is affected by it;
- the customs gap and its impact on the economies of the Member States and the Internal Market;
- the VAT gap and its impact on the economies of the Member States and the Internal Market;
- the shadow economy in the area of services in Member States and its impact on the Internal Market;
- the re-launching the EU economy through a reduction of the shadow economy and the tax gap, focusing on the central role of the Internal Market in this process;
- new possibilities to develop solutions and mechanisms aiming at reducing the shadow economy through better coordination on a European level while facilitating and automating compliance.
Keywords: single market, VAT, economic consequence, tax collection, tertiary sector, tax evasion, common tariff policy, customs fraud, tax avoidance, underground economy, tax reform